Gospel according to Clint Eastwood

Gran Torino was one of the most theologically rich movies I've seen in a long time.

Eastwood's latest movies have dealt with the issue of faith in mostly negative terms. In this film, however, Eastwood seems to come to terms with the nature of faith as something that provides more than shallow, self-serving comfort. True faith, true love, provides comfort and salvation for others.

The racist Eastwood develops a relationship with his foreign neighbors. The friendship grows into real concern. This concern ultimately forces Eastwood to give more than he can imagine to insure their safety, their salvation.

Without spoiling the ending, I just want to point out that this movie illustrates my belief in limited/unlimited atonement. I consider myself a 4.5 point Calvinist because I think Limited Atonement has some merit to it; I don't believe, however, that it is the whole story. Yes, Christ's atonement is limited to the elect in a salvific way, but his atonement also benefits the whole world in a more general way. For example, Billy Graham's salvation was paid on the cross in a way that only benefits believers. But Graham's salvation through the atonement has benefited all of mankind through good works.


Comments