I was able to go to Wittenberg last weekend. The picture of me in front of a big wooden thing is me in front of Luther's pulpit. 
I was able to see the castle church where Luther nailed the 95 theses to the door and kicked in the Reformation. Luther is buried there, so I paid my respects to Martin. The other highlights were seeing his house which now hosts the biggest collection of Reformation 'things' in the world. There were so many incredible things there including many old, old, old documents including original Luther writings. It also has Luther's living room in its original condition, including his famous table from the "Table Talks".

I think my favorite place was St. Mary's church. This was the church where Luther preached nearly all of his sermons and was the very first Protestant church. There is an original altar piece by Lucas Cranack which is absolutely incredible. Most historical sites this old (14th Century) have been remodeled so frequently they don't feel very old. St. Mary's was kind of showing its age and felt really old; I liked that a lot. I even went to church there on Sunday morning. I'm sure it was a nice service, but it was all in German so I didn't understand very much. I think it's pretty cool to say I worshiped in the very first church to move away from the Catholic mass.

Overall, this was a great experience for a theology nerd like me. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Monitor de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://monitor-de-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.